Arriving home from Waiheke Island an unremarkable brown cardboard box sat at the front door. Inside, a preview tub of The Collective NZ's latest limited edition yoghurt with my name on it!
Perfect with cereal and fruit at breakfast, the coffee yoghurt was a hit. But sometimes a little baking experimentation is called for. Ginger gems are quick to throw together when unexpected people turn up.
Here's a variation on a basic gem recipe - coffee and ginger gems:
- 60 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1/4 c caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 c flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 c coffee yoghurt
- 1/2 c strong coffee (double strength plunger coffee)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 20 g extra unsalted butter
- Heat gem iron in oven at 200 deg C.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until combined, then fold in golden syrup.
- Sift flour, ginger and salt into mixture, then fold together using a large metal spoon (mixture might be quite thick at this point).
- Add yoghurt to the warm (not hot) coffee and mix together, then add baking soda and quickly whisk.
- Fold into wet mixture until just combined - do not over mix (mixture will now be a batter).
- Remove gem iron from oven. Divide extra butter between gem iron hollows then spoon batter into the sizzling butter. Fill to top with one large spoonful but don't overfill.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm with an extra dollop of yoghurt.
The Collective NZ's limited edition coffee yoghurt launches week commencing 27 July in stockists nationwide – if you love coffee, you'll love the taste.