If you like crunchy roast potatoes... you’ll love this simple recipe using delicious ‘Piccolos’ potatoes. Thanks to Potatoes NZ who gave them to us at the NZ Guild of Foodwriters market day last week.
- 20 small potatoes (piccolos are perfect size)
- 20 grams butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- Sea salt, generous sprinkle
- 4 Tbsp finely grated fresh parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Put each potato in the bowl of a wooden spoon (this means you don’t accidentally cut through the potato) and cut at 3mm intervals.
- Melt butter and olive oil together in small fry pan and heat until it sizzles. Add the potatoes cut side down, then turn and coat with the butter oil mixture.
- Transfer to oven proof roasting dish and sprinkle generously with salt and rosemary.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, then check flesh is soft.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and fan bake for a further 10 minutes to melt cheese and for a lovely crunchy skin.
- Serve hot with pan fried crispy skin salmon and sautéed greens (or your choice of meat or chicken).
Note: cooking time will vary depending on size of potatoes.