The simplest dishes are often the tastiest. And sometimes ingredients harmoniously go together with little embellishment. Whenever I see fresh figs I immediately think a soft blue cheese would go perfectly. Add a drizzle of honey, toasted walnuts and fresh rocket and mint from the garden - a simple yet satisfying delicious salad.
So when I discovered my local coffee place had home-grown figs for sale this week, courtesy of another regular customer, I couldn’t resist buying half a dozen. The skin was slightly soft and ready to eat. Sweet tender flesh did not disappoint
- 3 large or 6 small figs, cut into eighths or quarters
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large handfuls fresh rocket
- 1 handful mint leaves (torn if large)
- 1 handful walnuts, toasted and halved
- 100g soft blue cheese cut into small wedges
- Cracked black pepper
Whisk honey, red wine vinegar and olive oil in bowl, season and adjust dressing to taste. Divide rocket into two bowls. Add the figs, mint, walnut and blue cheese. Drizzle over the dressing and let everyone toss their own salad as they eat.